Expectations (Original)

Well hi, ladies and gents, and whatever else lurks out there!!!

It's been quite some time. I'd like to blame the hiatus on life in general ... and that's somewhat true, but the truth is, I've been "stuck".

This song's been holding up the works for a while ... because I didn't quite know what to do with it. Not one of my best, but it's important ... it's part of my "concept" for the album, and, in fact, it's supposed to be the first song.

My previous attempts at it were all kind of ... "meh". Well it might not be the kickest-[*****] (that's a word, right) song ever, but it at least has to not suck.

Plus I like it. It's inspired by Chapter 2 in Norton Juster's "The Phantom Tollbooth". I marry it to life in general, because that's what Norton meant to do with it.

The first step in its re-imagining was to play up the samba beat. But it still wasn't ... whimsical enough. Well, Expectations itself was modeled after a travel agency/welcome center ... which we associate with vacations, and .., hey, steel drum! Only I don't play, and Band in a Box's midi steel drums are ... well. Let's just say I wish I had someone playing real steel drums here, but this was the best I could do.

It was better, but just like ... meh+. It still really needed something. I wanted a ratchet percussion track. Maybe even a samba whistle (it didn't end up with one, but I AM getting one :-) ) and then I stumbled on this "Afro Cuban" jazz style with congas and a bit of Cuban jazzy guitar and ...

Well you know what? I think I like it!

BIAB-wise, this is a real hodgepodge. Here's the BIAB info as best as I can summarize it for you (I've been toying with different things for, like, a year):

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Expectations
File:Expectations Afro Cuban.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=2:48
No intro. 80 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 80. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Styles are Style is _SHAKEIT.STY (Shake It Calypso Pop w Shaker),_CBOLGTS.STY (Cuban Bolero Guitar Quartet)

SoloistCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand Sforzando.tgs with midi steel drum patch
RealTracks in style: 1174:Bass, Electric, PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1902:Guitar, Acoustic, Background Bolero Ev 090
RealDrums [in style:SalsaBolero: a: SalsaBolerob: SalsaBolero

I actually play rhythm guitar on this, and the "awesome" (extremely simple) solo is me, too. Well I want SOME of my playing to end up on the album.

I'd like to be able to explain what I did with the steel drums, but oh my God. I doubt I can. What you hear is a cross between a midi piano track I patched with a midi Steel Drum in Band in a Box, then I also used that midi track and duplicated it in Reaper with a few styles of steel drum I could locate, delaying some tracks ... trying to get it to sound less midi and more natural. I only succeeded a little.

Vocals are once again all me.

Lyrics. Song link at the top. Hope you like it.

----
Expectations
Phil Leith - Walking Bird Music

Welcome to Expectations
To the land of the untarnished dream
It's not but a pause between here and gone
And nothing is quite what it seems

Welcome to Expectations
Where the glossies are vivid and bright
What will you bring for your travels ahead?
And what will you leave behind?

There's adventure out on that open road
And it's likely not what you had in mind
Keep an eye out for things you're not looking for
Or you might as well be flying blind

Welcome to Expectations
To make your journey worthwhile
Best if your pack is fast and light
You can trade a few tears for a smile

Welcome to Expectations
Now don't you linger too long
Lay down your worries, lay down your pen
And just start singing your song

You can find your own way sure as you go
If you don't cling to any one dream
If you find mine, it was lost long ago
Would you please return it to me?

Welcome to Expectations
Welcome to Expectations
Welcome to Expectations

Last edited by Phil Leith; 08/18/19 05:09 PM.