I'd have to give this some thought. Have had varying degrees of success with selfie video, even after having good equipment and quite some experience shooting and editing videos for other people, including musicians.
You'll almost always get better results if the sound comes directly from a board. That's a reason for the digital recorder recommendation you were given, that Tascam. You can send a good mix to the camera jack while playing along and have levels control. There is also an 08 model Tascam that's cheaper and a whole bunch of used digital multi tracks on line, used. They don't wear out.
Still, my gut feeling is that you will be fighting the limitations of that Toshiba every step of the way. While still in research, have you considered looking into a web cam and the software to screen capture?
https://www.toptenreviews.com/best-webcams
I can't say I am talking from experience on this point, but feel confident the direction is worth your looking into. Producing a good audio track is half the battle. I think you could use an audio interface. Many on this forum could advise you, there. Left and right aux out into either an interface or the computer's line in would do it. You then sing and play into the recorder's inputs. That content goes into the mix. I think the best results come from either lip syncing or a combination of recorded and lip sync. It worked for Elvis Presley. That's the other half of the battle. The third half is the editing. With lip sync, you can do multiple takes from different angles and distances. Use cutaways to cover rough spots in the video, while the audio rolls along, consistently, since it has been pre recorded. It does not vary.
In conclusion, this settle nothing. If you keep us up to date on your progress and thoughts, we'll be sure to provide you with our thoughts.

Last edited by edshaw; 10/11/19 08:55 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --