Hello, 'rayc'...

The first time I listened to Games None Can Play, it didn't have vocals. The 'bottom line', so to speak, of my comment about it then, was that it possessed an 'implacable, unrelenting drive', that it tasted of mystery, was 'restless and serpentine', all of which contributed to an 'atmosphere of dread' that permeated the music...

...but now, with the addition of lyrics sung in mostly unison harmony, the song took on an entirely different feel and sound! Now, it rocks, still in a rather downbeat way, but the voices...they kind of humanize it, if you will, and lend some emotional gravity to it, so that it doesn't sound as foreboding (only to me, of course) as it did before.

So, what does all this mean? I guess it's just a testimonial to the power of the human voice to 'warm things up', as it conveys such depths of feeling, some of which cannot be translated into words, but can only be felt through the filter of emotions, and therefore transforms the experience of listening to the instrumental music...

...which is interesting in and of itself; that is to say that, to my ears, whenever I listen to music that has lyrics sung by a human voice, the music seems almost always to recede into the background, to whatever degree one perceives that to be happening. But, once again, that's the power of the human voice!

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".