Originally Posted By: rayc
The 1st two notes made me thing of The Carpenters..."long ago..."

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I think you should keep your guitar leads, both the acoustic and electric, and shorten the MIDI Flugelhorn. Maybe even lengthen a guitar lead or two with a short Flugelhorn bridge.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys. They are noted and appreciated.
I see how the first three notes of the melody are identical to those in the song 'Superstar' which was made famous by The Carpenters.
Whilst I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing, I've decided to replace these with three different notes as it is now bugging me, now that rayc has highlighted the fact.
So instead of B↓A↓E, it will be B↑C↓E.

The reason why I was thinking of shortening the song was because it is basically just a 32 bar chord sequence that is repeated three times, and I feel that it sounds a bit boring the third time. That was the main reason for adding the electric guitar solo in an attempt to keep it sounding interesting.
I do like the delayed electric guitar solo and I would like to retain this as well as the cadence ending, so I now propose ditching the third flugelhorn melody (the bit that follows the Spanish guitar solo), and inserting a short bridge that leads nicely into the electric guitar solo.

Whilst this solution will only shorten the song slightly, I hope that it will make the song more satisfying and engaging, and that is always more important to me than the actual length of a song.