Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hi Folks.
Something recent and unexpected. Hardware did not change. Completely clean install of BIAB.
When I play arrangement in BIAB occasionally I would get a shuttering/latency effect, almost like the whole arrangement is slowing down and becomes shuttered, then it catches up again and plays as it should. Does not stop completely (as "audio engine stop") I am usually good at those things, but this one I can not figure out. It does not happen in DAW (even with 30 tracks running), only in BIAB

Including audio settings screenshot at the bottom.

Checklist:
1)Computer 6 cores 32ram. High performance power setting.
2)True ASIO card, not Asio4All. (I tried with 2 different ASIO cards, same result)
3)Buffer on ASIO card set to whoping 1024.
4)BIAB running 6 RT tracks / 1 midi, a single instance of Halion Sonic VST.
5)No other VSTs except for the ones that came with BIAB.
--------------

Thank you in advance for your time!

Check what else is running on your device. The symptoms you describe are usually because the system can’t keep up. If you’re using Windoze it sometimes happens after an update when Windows decides you needed more stuff turned on. (After all Windows knows what’s best for you.). I use Norton 360 and it might decide to protect me by performing some “background” work.

Turn off what you don’t need.

Also using VSTi plugins can cause a huge drain on the system. Render or “freeze” tracks so you are running audio and not VSTs.

For example, on Cakewalk one can see how much load is on your PC (you can do similar in Reaper). The load may be very high with several instruments running and almost nothing once the tracks are frozen (converted to audio). It is very simple to unfreeze again.

Even other VST plugins on audio can create issues if running too many of them. Once a track is how you want it render it (note you may be committing a track once rendered.)

Just some thoughts

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1