Quantizing is a term for midi. You are really referring to tempo mapping. 80% of that is done during recording. Some folks play and sing to a click or drum track. I usually make sure I have at the minimum drums base and one instrument track prior to vocals. This helps me stay in time. Most timing issues are resolved by careful setup when using BiaB or RB.

If by chance a word or phrase gets out of time like I start a verse to soon or to late I split the piece on both ends and drag it into time. The same can be done with live played instrument tracks.

Also I usually do at least 4 or 5 takes of a vocal and comp them together. That way I can cut out weaker phrases mis-spoken words etc. lastly I solo the vocals and edit out any background noises and sounds like a swallow or breath I don’t like the sound of. Another good practice is to solo the vocal, one instrument and drums. Listen carefully to the phrasing against timing. Just be careful not to over think it and make it seem unnatural. Don’t lose uniqueness.

If none of this is what you are asking then maybe you’re talking about putting tracks together from different sources recorded in different timing. In that case it is truly a situation of tempo mapping. That requires that you be very careful in setting up your temples to start with in your bass tracks, and using as Bob said a program like Melodyne, or learning to use tempo mapping in your DAW

Last edited by Rob Helms; 04/05/20 02:42 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.