At first something in general: My translation of the Dutch lyrics was very bad. In my first post I replaced them with a -maybe- better version. It was still difficult to translate it into proper English. I am afraid there are still mistakes in it, but I think it's more easy now to follow what I sing.

Now my reply to some posters:

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Hans,
Interesting the way a different language leads to very cool phrasing surprises- no doubt they relate to the meaning for Dutch listeners- your vocal is strong with those edgy consonants you don`t hear in Anglais.
A good swampy backtrack and mix.
Is there a Dutch BiaB forum to share this?

Robert

Hi Robert, yes, those edgy consonants... we are infamous on this, Im afraid. Although I now other languages that have a higher score on that scale. As far as I know there is no Dutch BiaB for songs. But be glad for that! Otherwise you would never hear them and I'm sure that is not what you want, is it? ;-)
Thanks for the compliments!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hans I really like this. Your vocal is really strong here. The mix is spot on also. I don't need to understand a vocal to know what is a great song and this is a great song.

Hi Mario, You too must have had a hard time trying to understand what I sing/wrote. But it was about doubts we can have if we try to restart a relation when your partner can't get rid of the past. Whatever past that might be. But you couldn't care less, you like to listen to the melody, as I could read. Thanks for your compliments on that! I enjoyed reading your post.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Hans ...

This is a terrific song! This might be your best vocal ... of the ones I've heard. Love the mysterious backing tracks. Very nicely done! best to you. Be safe ...

Hi Al, thanks for the very nice compliments. I feel challenged now to make better songs with much better vocals, only to let you keep saying what you said about the vocals :-))
And stay safe too! Corona is hopefully leaving us soon. Not miraculously (as some hope), but perhaps because we are becoming more resistant.

Alan
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,

A cool sounding song. A lot of passion in the vocal.

The guitars sound good and the drums are at a good level.

The strings panned to one side sound "unbalanced" to me. Strings are typically spread across the stereo field - so you could play another track of the strings and put it on the other side for balance. A little thing. In BIAB if you have two tracks with the same RT, they usually will generate differing, but complimentary tracks - which can give you a really "full" sound for something like strings.

An enjoyable listen.

fj

Hello floyd, thanks for the compliments, but more thanks for the listening and advise about the strings. I did some changings on that part. I had a feeling the strings started to annoy me and then you wrote about them! That's when I changed them: I did some changings of the chords, placed the stringstrack in the middle of the 'band' and two tracks on both sides with a modern sound that fits well with the strings. To me it felt as an improvement, so thanks Floyd.

Last edited by Birchwood; 05/19/20 02:45 AM.

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130