<<< BIAB is not a DAW, so sticking an audio file in it that will not respond to further chord changes will not solve request. >>>

1. I think that's incorrect. Actually by all the definitions I find online, BIAB is a DAW. Here's two definitions and there are many others with similar wording.

Wikipedia: A digital audio workstation (DAW) is an electronic device or application software used for recording, editing and producing audio files.

TheDAWStudio: There are four main types of music-based general software program functions that were once found in separate programs, but are now usually bundled together in most major software DAWs. These four types are digital audio processor, MIDI sequencer, virtual instrument, and music notation editor. A digital audio processor is simply a program that can record, edit, and mix digital audio information. A MIDI sequencer records, edits, and mixes MIDI information. A virtual instrument is a program or plug-in that receives MIDI information and assigns it to different sounds. And a music notation program enables the user to put notes on a page and print a musical score. A software DAW incorporates all, or some combination, of these four types of programs in their software. The combination of all of these functions is what makes a software based Digital Audio Workstation such a wonderful and useful tool.

a. For me, I find that BIAB can do all four of the main functions. It can record, edit and produce audio files. It can record and work with midi. It can use virtual instruments and has a music notation editor.

b. An audio file converted to reside on any of the seven Legacy Channels will respond to further chord changes with a single click of a button exactly the same as if you unfreeze a frozen track.

As to workarounds, think of BIAB as if it is a audio interface. For instance:

Example: Let's record Bass, Piano, Acoustic Fingerpick, Acoustic strum, Organ or synth, Electric guitar, Pedal Steel onto the Legacy Channels and Fiddle on the Audio Channel.

A BIAB project recording these seven 'normal' Legacy Channels along with a live audio input on the Audio Channel is the equivalent to simultaneously recording the same instruments using all 8 Pre-amp inputs of a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.

Sequentially recording the 8 instruments on a Scarlett Solo to individual tracks is equivalent to sequentially recording each instrument with the BIAB Audio Channel and moving the audio to a Legacy Channel. So, as you define it, it seems recording a project with a Scarlett Solo is a workaround and may not even qualify as a real interface.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/08/20 10:27 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.