Yep....I agree with everything already said.

Use the songwriter's forum for stuff like this.

Here's just a few thoughts off the top of my head and what I think about a lot when I'm writing.

Write, write, write and then write some more. Study the masters. Who are the masters? They are generally the folks who are writing the songs that you hear on the radio. Study the craft and art of songwriting. Books, courses, seminars, also local songwriting associations.

I have a co-writer who I write with on occasion and she can be a real task master. No cliche lines because that's some worn out stuff.... be sure the verses line up with the same patterns, don't repeat words, watch your rhymes, and so much more. Take a given subject and write about it from a totally new and fresh perspective. Yeah, it's not easy to do but songwriting isn't easy work. That's what makes it so challenging and enjoyable when you do hit those magic combination of words and notes.

You will find too that cowriting and collaborating is a really good way to improve your writing skills quickly. Nothing like a second POV on the topic.

Always try to make sure you write like you speak. Proper order of verbs and such things. Don't write like Yoda speaks. Cute it's not. Always, or mostly, try to write where people listening will be able to understand exactly what's going on in the lyric.

That aside..... yeah, now put some music to that and let's hear what you got. If you're just getting started, learn the rules and follow them. Once you get more experience and your writing has gotten to a higher level.... throw out the rules and write. Some would argue to do that to start, well, unless you are Dylan or Harland Howard..... best to start on firm ground. And when you look at those 2 writers I mentioned, you find that they mostly did follow the rules.

Enough pontification from me.... go and write and compose some music and post it in the Showcase so we can listen and comment.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.