Thanks Jim, I am glad you feel it will be useful. For me it is a fun change from the same old routine :-)

Hi Bob,

over all I find BIAB Editable Notation mode very fast for inputting melody compared to musescore. It's unfortunate problem is not being able to input triplets in a latin tune (triplets against 16ths). If PG Music could borrow the technique that MuseScore uses verbatim getting it to print and play properly it would serve all my needs. I suspect it is a programming challenge.

I have used AnthemScore twice with the spectrogram and once trying use its notation capture.

AnthemScore SpectroGram:
I find it sucks in its shortcut keys but I am starting to catch on to tricks for this. What I find is you start to learn to read the beat in the spectrogram such that you can count while it is running and if you are looking for a chord is is very good at helping with this (or single notes for that matter).

AnthemScore Notation Capture:
I vaguely remember trying to play a melody on guitar and record it in .wav and see how AnthemScore wrote the music and it was terrible in that the inaccuracies in the notation created more problems than it was worth. So the solution was to use the spectrogram and learn to see the beat within the spectrogram and enter it correctly into BIAB. Your eye, ear and mind automatically know after a while what beats the notes are suppose to be on (just like old fassion transcribing). This is the trick.

Quote:
I'll give you a basic example of the problem with midi in Biab. Someone step enters a melody track and sets up a trumpet to play it. What you hear is a straight, solid, unwavering tone that sounds like a trumpet for a split second or two but then sounds incredibly fake because no human plays a trumpet like that. No amount of you tweaking Biab is going to change that and changing synths won't change that either.

That makes sense. I think BIAB sounds better on fast tunes where the player has less time to do anything with each note and that is in fact the only time I would ever use it at a jam (fast hard tunes if the song initiator did not show up - it happens - I hate wasting practice). Bottom line is I can not use a daw, mp3 or .wav file at a jam. BIAB is the only option. I explained that in this post. We have had 23 or so people come out to the jams using BIAB and every one enjoyed it. BIAB in no way shape or form causes you to loose your ability to have fun and put emotion into your music. I feel sorry for those who limit themselves here. Sneaking in a midi backup part won't ruin the jam. This leads to the next paragraph.

BIAB needs is a midi snap-to feature for printing sheet music of a song. So the player plays their instrument and BIAB creates midi that accurately reflects the human inaccuracies but it is not to be used for sight reading (which is primarily what I am after since I normally don't have BIAB play melodies). Then if the user wants to print it for sight reading they indicate what they want the inaccuracies to snap to. It could be 1/8ths, 1/16ths, 1/4s, whatever. So it cleans the human inaccuracies so it prints something that other musicians can sight read and add their own personal inaccuracies to. Vibratos would be left alone. Bends would be left alone. Volume changes would be left alone. I am sure I have heard of software that does this (maybe triple play's software).

I have about 30 songs I wrote in my early 20s. I put the music to paper as well as recording them. I quit guitar for 22 years (never touched it, never listened to music). To go back to those songs I would find it far to slow to figure out what I did by lifting the recordings. I just go to the music and in a very short period of time I can play them again. Litterly hundreds of times faster than record lifting.

Here is the question. With all the complaints I am hearing about BIAB playing midi or anything playing midi why bother with Midi at all? You may as well just record to .wav which is the ultimate sound capture. Anthemscore can create notes from a .wav but it does note have a snap-to feature. When you play the music back in AnthemScore from the spectrogram it sounds just like the record.

I just watched the BIAB recording midi video.. Can it record guitar slides, guitar bends, etc. How do they look in notation. I generally read read song melodies exact on the first melody then after the solos I change the melody around (jazz it up). Its good sight reading practice and improvising practice. But notating midi again is for recording hard melodies just in case the jam initiator can't attend.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/26/20 08:14 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles