Well, I'm not necessarily thinking just melody. One of the big things I'm trying to do with MIDI is to write horn charts in Real Band. Someone posted a soft synth that does fantastic synth sounds of horns, and as far as I can tell, the difference in these is the articulations. I forget which one it was, but it seemed to be a VST, having it's own sound editor. You could pick a note and apply a sound effect like sforzando, or vibrato at the end of longer notes, etc.

I wasn't sure how it worked in the VST and didn't want to spend the money on the plug-in until I'm sure how it works.

It just seems as though I should be able to pick, say, a trumpet part, and apply a filter to all of the notes in that part that change the velocity of each note to be a little higher at the outset of the note, like a player blowing the note into the horn. Then apply a filter that sets the velocity to increase for longer duration notes, and/or add vibrato with velocities on longer notes.

Is there any such way to apply such "preset" horn articulations to MIDI notes, or if there isn't a way to do this, why isn't there? Surely someone has thought of this concept before.

BTW, the Indiginus Blue Street Horns is the VST that I'm referring to. How can I get those sounds into Real Band, or into my BIAB melody track? https://indiginus.com/blue_street.html

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)