Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I've often noticed that when entering "Power chords" that BiaB will play the 3rd.
BTW, I hate the term "power chords". Two notes (like root and fifth) is by definition an interval, not a chord. It takes 3 notes to play a chord.

I'm glad you raised that Notes. I also don't feel incredibly comfortable with the term "Power chords", and agree on the minimum number of notes required to start to establish a chord structure. Two usually isn't adequate.

You old guys are such purists grin . You have to check Wiki on this one. The power chord has a lot more sound than an simple interval:
Quote:
in a power chord, the ratio between the frequencies of the root and fifth are very close to the just interval 3:2. When played through distortion, the intermodulation leads to the production of partials closely related in frequency to the harmonics of the original two notes, producing a more coherent sound. The intermodulation makes the spectrum of the sound expand in both directions, and with enough distortion, a new fundamental frequency component appears an octave lower than the root note of the chord played without distortion, giving a richer, more bassy and more subjectively 'powerful' sound than the undistorted signal.[4] Even when played without distortion, the simple ratios between the harmonics in the notes of a power chord can give a stark and powerful sound, owing to the resultant tone (combination tone) effect.

But you knew that. Said with a big smile guys! grin

Every interval has it's unique sound due to the mixing of harmonics. But it still doesn't make it a chord. One note is a note, two notes played at the same time is an interval, and three or more notes played at the same time is a chord.

Power chords are root/fifth intervals.

But people call that particular interval a power chord. I never could figure out why. I guess it was started by people who didn't learn music theory.

If you call a root/fifth interval a chord, then all double stops are also chords, and that corrupts the definitions of both an interval and a chord.

But I go ahead and call them power chords because as much as I don't like it, it's what people understand.

Insights and incites by Notes.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks