Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I don't use the real tracks very often. Not that I don't like them, I think there is a lot of genius, and I think they sound good but they aren't very editable, and I like to play with the music, taking what I consider the very good output of BiaB and personalize it to make it what I hope raises it from very good to excellent.

I do this by exporting to a MIDI file, opening it in Master Tracks Pro, Power Tracks Pro or Cakewalk and editing. It might be tine consuming, but the time goes by pleasantly and when I'm done, if the song sounds a lot better, I get a feeling of accomplishment. Also if I'm lucky I'll get to hear the finished product thousands of times.

Hi, Bob. Dan is right, we've gotten way off topic here, as my initial issue is clearly with Real Tracks rather than with MIDI. However, I am quite interested in how one makes MIDI tracks sound realistically like real instruments. Clearly you have a good sense of envelopes, dynamics, what to do with note-off commands, etc., for different instrument sounds. So you export the MIDI file as generated by BIAB, and use your algorithms to make the MIDI notes perform like a real player. What now, though? The only place you can import these edited MIDI files back into BIAB is the Melody track or the Soloist track, correct?

I've noticed BiaB ignoring the C5 notation, which is supposed to be the root/fifth interval (aka power chord) and including the third to make it a C major. Sometimes this makes little difference, but if it does, I'll edit it.

I write a lot of styles. If I write a part with only 2 notes (interval) and then want that same part to play a chord, it won't. So which is worse?

For me it's easier to edit out the third than to try to insert one where I need an actual chord.

Again, if you edit out the third of the chord in a MIDI editor, how do you import the MIDI file back into guitar part of the generated BIAB part? Am I correct to assume that one has to then freeze the track so that BIAB doesn't regenerate it and the problem starts all over?

BiaB is a fantastic program, but like all programs, it does have limitations. Sometimes it takes a bit of work or creative thinking to overcome the limitations, but for all the other wonderful things it does and the time it saves me, it's well worth the time.

I've done with in sequencing bands before, and even done some sequencing. Usually the way to make the sequences sound more like real players had to do more with pushing the notes a little ahead or behind the best to make the phrasing more human, applying staccatos in creative places, alternating note ending times so that horn sections sounded more like separate players, etc. I almost had to spend as much time adding sloppiness to the parts than the time spent getting the right notes in.

However, when I hear sounds like Indiginus Blue Steel horn sounds, where they have effects to applied to the notes specifically to reproduce the sounds that a player may make, I wonder how those note could be edited and then imported back into BIAB. I'm not a keyboard player, but I'm not sure why I couldn't generate the MIDI notes from Finale, and then edit them with agorithms particular to horn parts, or guitar parts, etc.? However, again, can I then import them back into BIAB, or is there some way to do this editing right in BIAB and the freeze the track from regenerating?

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)