Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

First of all, it's a beautiful song and the performance, the arrangement, the mix, are all
up to your usual excellent standard.

So, about the MIDI guitar. Couldn't fault the sound - astoundingly like the real thing
and easily the best I've heard. What I did notice was that the note entry by mouse made
the playing almost too perfect. As a guitarist, you'll know that it's impossible to play
with timing to that resolution and in fact, we wouldn't really want to because that's
where we get a lot of the expression from. Similarly with dynamics, the mouse entry sounded
like all the notes had the same velocity. That's not to say that it didn't work - these are
minor things and when the guitar was mixed with the other instruments it wasn't a problem at all.
I'm not sure that there's an answer to this. Playing in live from the piano keyboard, maybe, but
as you said the chord inversions don't exactly lend themselves to the piano.

It's certainly given me something to think about, thank you.

Cheers,
ROG.

ROG - Thanks! for the nice comments about the song, performance and production.

I addressed some of the "too perfect" issue in the re-do version - but only slightly. I understand the idea of "we don't play that perfectly", but any similar song that comes out of the Nashville machine (for the last 30 years) does, in fact, have a near perfectly play acoustic guitar component. I've watched some of those guys in the studio - and they make it look effortless. The velocities of the notes is, in fact, varied throughout the guitar performance - randomly (you can see that in the 3 newer snapshots I put up).

As you noted, the sound of guitar is truly surprising. And the point of this was to BEGIN to demonstrate how useful this vst (in particular) could be - although it takes some skill to get it "right". I don;t think that skill level would be hard to improve to the point of fooling-the-ears... (this was my first try at this...)

Thanks, again, for having a listen.