I agree about the PS. Just replace it and make it bigger than you think you need. They're not that expensive. Otherwise I would change the whole build to the new AMD Ryzen processor. They're blowing the Intel's into the weeds at less cost. It's not even close, if you follow the stock market this is the reason Intel stock is down about 15% and AMD is up after both reported earnings a few weeks ago.

Unless you have other reasons to have such a powerful machine like video transcoding, working with huge databases and the like you have no need at all for 64 gigs of ram or anything like that. 25 tracks of audio and a few plugins is nothing. That can be run perfectly on a Surface Go with that weak Intel M processor and 8 gigs of ram. If you don't believe that check out the Molten Music videos about music production on various Surface tablets. He got something like 75 tracks all running plugins using an audio test file using a bunch of daws like Pro Tools, Abelton, Studio One etc on that stupid little Surface Go.

Biab can only use a fraction of what you're talking about. We've all done lots of tests on this over the years checking on Biab generation times on different systems. Once you get to a late model i5, 8 gigs of ram or better, the generation times rendering 7 RT's on a song with say 200 bars is roughly 10 seconds or so. Some might get 8 seconds, some 12, that's it. A monster machine does nothing to speed that up. The only reason for lots of ram in audio DAW work is when you're using a big sample based sound library like Kontakt or Sampletank and you're loading 40 tracks of samples into RAM for fast playback and rendering. Then you could need 50-60 gigs of RAM. You're talking about a few tracks at a time that may need a few gigs at the most.

Check out the new Ryzens vs Intel on YT, you'll be shocked. Especially for high end gaming, it's not just a few percent better it's like 20-25% better and faster. And cheaper. And, not just the CPU, it's much less for the mobo's as well. We all used to think AMD was the cheaper weak sister to Intel. That's history now and from what I've read that's not going to change anytime soon because Intel has boxed themselves into a bit of a corner.

I missed your comment about having two Ryzens and they were both crap. Can't comment on that much but I can say I built my own desktop office machine 3 years ago using the early generation Ryzen 3000 something chip with 16 gigs RAM and it's been fast and perfect. Those are old chips now, the new ones were just released over the last few months.

I use it to log into the office network. As a test at the time I plugged in my Biab HD and it gave me the same generation times I get on my now 6-7 years old i7 with 16 gigs of RAM I use in my little home studio. The full specs on that are in my sig.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 11/16/20 10:05 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.