Originally Posted By: bowlesj
This error will tend to turn off vocalists and anyone trying to deal with key changes. They will think this way. All the free software gets it correct but a software costing $129 US and up can't even get it correct. It clearly does not help sales.

Hi John,

As already mentioned, I agree with you. And I am not writing the below to be argumentative. It's not my style. I simply seek to clarify the MIDI system of C3, C4, C5 options for middle C as someone who lives outside the USA and is not an American.

The different references for middle C (C5, C4 or C3) are not errors. All are correct because there is no standard in this nomenclature. The standard is defining middle C as note #60.

Different companies have chosen to follow their own paths determined by how they choose to number the lowest reference C. After a little more reading, it seems that C4 is popular in the USA but C3 and C5 are common outside the USA.

An analogy for me is the kilogram, metre, second, Celsius system of measurements. Throughout an awful lot of the world, these are the standard measurements for weight, length, time and temperature. They are also the scientific standard. That's what we use here in Australia. In the USA, though, I understand that people use pounds, inches, seconds and Fahrenheit. Even though the metric system is referred to as the "scientific standard" in a lot of places, this doesn't mean that the Imperial system has no place. It's also not an error. It's just different.

Given that BIAB is used worldwide, it makes sense to have all options available so that the customers can choose the middle C option that matches whatever else they have for making music and wherever in the world they live.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024