Hi everybody, hopefully this is the forum to post this question. Basically, I've been at my wits end trying to figure this out, because it doesn't make any sense. Just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience.

I recently built a computer for music, and I installed the scarlett 8i6 and there's no problems installing.

I have a Motif XS7. For a test, I tried coming out of the stereo outs of the motif into inputs 1 & 2 of the scarlett. I start getting these rhythmic crackle popping sounds. Low level but loudish, and steady, not a 60 cycle hum or anything like. The computer and Scarlett are on their own outlet on a Furman ground lift.

I connect a microphone to input 1, no noise, just clean signal.

I connect a guitar to input 1 and and then input 2, no noise, just clean signal

I connect a cassette tape recorder to inputs 1 & 2, no noise, just clean signal

I connect the 1 & 2 outputs from the Scarlett to a mixer. Same noise.

Now here is where it gets really weird. I have three other machines. they have never had any noise issues, and I still have my old music machine. I tried recording the motif to the old machine, while the new machine is off, it records perfect, no noise.

I turn on the new machine, and every other machine makes the same noise, and if I try to record, they record the same sound. That's even if the Scarlett is off.

I installed the Scarlett on a laptop. I tried recording the Motif on inputs 1 & 2. It recorded flawless, no noise. So, the problem is not the Scarlett.

So, now I have a new machine with an I7 chip, 32 gigs of ram and a top of the line gigabyte motherboard, that I truly don't know what it's doing to generate this noise, and pass it to other machines as well.

I know this is long winded, but I just figured if somebody has an idea of what I can turn off in the new machine, I'd appreciate it. I already turned off the audio in the bios for the motherboard sound card. I built this and it's not like I can send this back at this time. It wasn't cheap either.

So, if anybody has an idea, let me know. Thanks for listening and reading. I added an example file.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
bass example with noise.mp3 (533.88 KB, 13 downloads)