Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
I quoted you word for word. That you did not put it in context is your mistake, not mine.

Yes, I see that you have some experience here but your post was worded poorly. I was pointing that out. I see that you didn't understand this, either.

Your percentage is still wrong.

Otherwise, it's still January. The meaning of that will be clear if I post on this subject in February.

In the mean time, who's your PRO?

You quoted a portion of a sentence, not the complete thought. Furthermore, the entire conversation was about music infringement. What the hell do any other infringement cases have to do with the discussion at hand? My point, which should have been clear, is that 99% of music infringement cases are brought against very successful songs that have generated a lot of money, not the ones that have only had a few thousand streams or sales.

As for the rest of your snarky response ("I see you have some experience here"), do you really want to compare resumes? Because I'm happy to do so...I've made my living as a full time professional songwriter since 1985. As a matter of fact, you can see who I am by clicking on the NSAI link in my signature (http://www.nashvillesongwriters.com/roger-brown). I'm on the board of directors, serving as the legislative co-chair, and have been lobbying in DC for songwriters for nearly two decades. I was actively involved in helping get the Music Modernization Act signed into law. So yes, I have a pretty solid handle on infringement issues and the profession of songwriting in general. The gold and platinum records hanging on my wall probably suggest I have a clue what I'm talking about as well.

I don't like spouting off my credits or discography, because I've never been "that guy" but your patronizing, condescending tone ticks me off. All I attempted to do by responding to this thread in the first place was to assuage unnecessary concerns about being sued for plagiarism. If my thoughts and expertise aren't wanted or appreciated, I can certainly keep them to myself. Or if you don't like what I have to offer personally, feel free to put me on ignore.

As to who my PRO is, I have no idea why that's at all relevant (or any of your damn business), but I have been with all three in my career at one time or another (ASCAP, SESAC, BMI) and I'm currently affiliated with BMI.

Last edited by Roger Brown; 01/26/21 01:45 PM.