Thank you everyone for your replies to my post. I am going to respond at length to some of your questions, to explain the mindset of a contemporary songwriter, in case PG are also reading this and considering my suggestions.

I belong to Songtown, a Nashville-based community for songwriters. It's run by Marty Dodson and Clay Mills, who have written many number 1 songs between them. I have taken their Writing to Tracks (toplining) course. They say that MOST chart pop songs are now written this way. I have written songs to tracks like this. They are well arranged, with a contemporary flavour, but it is very frustrating to be stuck with their dull chord changes. BIAB could provide the antidote for that.

I also did the Songtown Writing for Film & TV course and had my songs critiqued by a high level music supervisor who was giving us real TV briefs for the shows he works on. Sync songs can be in various genres but anything you submit must be in professional quality and they like real musicians rather than MIDI. The problem for the aspiring songwriter is that demoing your song to the right standard will cost you $800 per song. Who can afford that?

BIAB has great session musicians, playing real instruments. It responds to your chords, holds shots etc. It could be the songwriter's best friend - it could be his/her band in a box.

Workflow is really important when writing a song; you want to be able to go with the flow of inspiration without getting lost searching through hundreds of options that don't deliver and make you lose focus. I agree with Rustyspoon about using a mix of BIAB and other programs in my DAW. That's what I do at the moment.

Here are some of the other programs with arrangement features for songwriters that I currently use:

Scaler 2, Arcade, EZ Keys for piano, Strum GS2 & UJAM Sparkle for guitars, UJAM Royal for bass, for drums I have Addictive Drums 2, UJAM Solid, Kandy and Hustle, for strings I have Sonuscore's The Orchestra and UJAM's Striiings (among others).

These are all very good and useful for songwriting but the problem with using them is that you have to search through multiple options in one program for piano, same in another program for guitars, another for drums, another for bass... the great advantage of BIAB is that it's all INTEGRATED, with styles for instruments that are designed to go together. And, ideally, with subs for realtracks and other realdrums that really are 'the best sub for this style'. And loops that are best suited, rather than scrolling through 1,000 in alphabetical order.

Given the potential of its features, BIAB should be the the best tool for the modern songwriter because you can write straight away in an integrated style.

I'm not interested in techno or rap or EDM, I'm only taking about mainstream contemporary pop songs. My great love is The Beatles. Proper songs. And there are plenty of them about in pop music these days but songwriter demos need a contemporary flavour before they can be submitted.

One of my keyboards is the Korg Liverpool. This has 100 Beatles songs built in but the most useful thing is more than 60 Beatles styles, each with 4 variations, based on Beatles songs so you can write your own song with your own chords in that style. Of course, you don't need to use all the tracks. You may only need a rhythm section, but it's great to be able to have Paul on bass and Ringo on drums!

For a long time, MIDI files have been available on the internet and these can be a good way of learning how a successful song is arranged. I would like BIAB to write new styles, based on successful contemporary songs. The style name could be similar to the song's title. A stylepicker title search would take you to it. Ideally the example song would be like a MIDI file of the song itself but, if that had copyright implications, you could have something in that vein.

Rustyspoon asked: "Lazarus, JJJ if it is not a trade secret, can you give an example of contemporary POP you are thinking of? Just curious."

Here is a list of good mainstream chart songs, in different styles, from the last couple of years or so, any of which could make great BIAB styles. The Adult Contemporary charts are the best place to find songs like this.

Moral of the story - Ashe

River - Charlie Puth

Joke's on you - Charlotte Lawrence

Good in goodbye - Madison Beer

Bad guy - Billie Eilish

No time to die - Billie Eilish

Goodbyes - Post Malone

I should probably go to bed now - Dan & Shay

Snowman - Sia

Rescue Me - One Republic

Problems - DeathbyRomy

Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi