I find setting the CCs for volume (CC7) is one thing there is often also a need to look at the output volume of the (audio output) track.

A lot of instruments also have an expression setting (usually CC11) and in some cases the Modulation Wheel (CC1)needs setting. Some instruments might use Breath Control (CC2) to do some modulation. It is very instrument dependant as are articulations which can also have an effect. Quite a lot of instruments have many controls to help them along.

At the moment I’m playing around with having a separate MIDI track to “control” the patch be it Kontakt or another VSTi. Basically the notes to be played are written in one track that points to the patch and things such as Key Switches (to change articulations) and CC lanes on a separate track pointing to the same patch. This avoids cluttering the notes track and makes stuff such as notation easier to follow.

Just a thought
Tony

Edit: added “(audio output)” to hopefully better explain what I was getting at.

Last edited by Teunis; 03/31/21 02:17 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1