Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Stephen, I know your version of Naima is in the key of Bb because you said you have a Bb fakebook. If you had a concert key fakebook, Naima would be in the key of Ab. My advice to always think in terms of concert pitch stands.

Sorry Matt, I realised you were thinking in Concert pitch after I posted.

As a test, try using an all-MIDI style. That will faithfully represent the correct notes in all the complex chords. If I'm right and that sounds OK, then your remedy is to purchase a newer BIAB version and turn off Natural Arrangement for the RealTracks.

I tried this as you suggested, but to my ears the MST sounds are even more discordant. Maybe it really is my ears (or my sax/playing!)

Another thing you could do is attach the song and let us look at it and try it. Use the File Manager in the Post Options to your lower left.

I've taken you up on your very kind offer. To my ears, it's closest to being in tune with the sax when I don't transpose (leave it in Bb, as per the Realbook. I'll be relieved, in some ways, to hear that it's fine for you - so I may need to check the sax tuning again. Thanks again.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
NAIMA-Coltrane-Backing-Track.mp3 (1.31 MB, 18 downloads)
Some slash chords have been shortened, so C-7/F is C-7, for example.
Last edited by StephenP; 04/14/21 07:16 AM.