So adding those things up Herb, obviously you know electricity, and I will also assume you wired your studio building. So my question is this. How big a circuit breaker does that studio run on? Knowing that not every piece of gear is not always powered on, and knowing what I typically have powered on at once running on a 15 amp breaker, can I then assume that I could tap off the power in the garage that runs on a 20 and pretty much only powers the garage door opener? (Which, of course, only draws power when it is going up or down.) If I could break off of that it would make life easy if I built that studio building. I'd only have to trench about 10 feet from the garage to bury the conduit. The power in the upstairs studio as it is right now powers the computer and monitor, 2 powered speakers, and a keyboard or guitar amp, depending on what I am doing. I don't pop the 15 amp breaker, so I can't imagine I'd pop a 20! I plan to have skylights for daytime use and the same lamp I have up there now if I work at night. I would use spray foam insulation so it won't be loud.

Really considering this! My local code allows me 200 sq ft without a permit, so I'd go 14x14 (192). And if there are no permits for size, I can have my friend run that electric over without a permit too since the city won't even know I am building. Probably looking at a mini split for HVAC, but still doing research. I don't even know yet if they run on 110 or if I'd need 220 for it. If it does, THEN the game plan changes. Though as I think about a 14x14 room, a mini split seems like WAY overkill. I heat a 12x14 bedroom with a portable heater. Logic would seem like a portable cooler would do the same. Even a 5000 BTU room AC would be way too much for that space. Before my house had central AC I cooled a 16x14 living room with a 5000 BTU window AC and it got TOO cold in there. I have 2 small ceramic room heaters. Room HVAC seems like it may be an expense I don't need to incur.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/09/21 05:18 AM. Reason: typos

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.