Over the “COVID” break I spent a small fortune (all the coffee and grog money I couldn’t spend) on orchestral stuff. The thing is it does not matter what you get, invariably you have not got what you’d really like. Then, eventually you build up an understanding and find you no longer have the disc space required to store what you need let alone the money.

Each orchestral library has its own features and failings. Some are designed to do one thing and really don’t do as well with others. There is an amazing amount of free stuff out there but , the free stuff often has very limited articulations as do most of the cheaper libraries.

It does not seem to matter high end or low end understanding the “Key Switches” and or articulation lanes makes a huge difference. Knowing how to get the best out of the libraries you have for what you are trying to do.

Having said all that companies such as Spitfire, VSL, Project Sam and many others provide great freebies but you need to work with them to get the best out of them. After a while one learns a few tricks such as creating a track for the music and another for controlling the plugin (if using something such as Cakewalk) to avoid cluttering what you are doing. In Reaper creating Note Maps (Key Maps) is a great way to help but not only for “Key Switches” but also for CC Lanes. Using note maps helps to get a lot more out of the plugin. (Not only with Orchestras but many instrument plugins and other sims).

Where would I start, well I’d recommend the VSL Big Bang free Orchestra (but it does require a Steinberg Key (about USD $25). The Spitfire freebies are really good but one needs to learn about them to get anything productive. Similar with Project Sam freebies. Even Kontakt freebies.

For paid stuff there are many depending on what you are doing. Good lower priced ones include LASS (but Modern Strings is a better proposition) but strings only. I find VSL Special Editions 1 & 2 are great. Combine that with the Big Bang (and some additions) or the VSL Smart Orchestra and you are well on the way. Then add Ostinato Strings (to design Ostinatos) your a long way there.

There are many many really great orchestral libraries but you do need $$$. However even the lower end Kontakt Orchestral libraries can provide a good sound (if you learn to use them). With the full version of Kontakt one can edit the orchestra to get reasonable legato for example.

Well I’ve had a bit to say. This is something I wanted to share. These are my experiences and thoughts. I am only to willing to discuss them. Other people’s mileage may vary.

Thanks. Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 05/29/21 12:11 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1