Simon.
these new macs look fantastic. wonderfull.
frankly i would like one.
congrats to pg music on the 2021 for mac release.
apples strategy of useing its own silicon so it can more control its destiny is very very shrewd imho.

the problem i have is ; will the new apple machines be like the phones ?
ie every year a new model comes out , and the end user is tempted by obsolescence/new features to get the shiny new faster model ?
so every year its fork over more money.

in summary i really wish apple offered some sort of upgradeability path for existing users. even if to only plop in a new processor. as well as open up the architecture to more 3 parties.

it seems to me that (and i know the selling strategies haveing worked in tech for manufacturers) the tech industry is establishing some sort of new feudal system like days of yore in "merrie olde england".lol.
ie the rich had their beautifull estates with manicured gardens and wine cellars and servants while the poor toiled away with very little.

ie with i9's /threadrippers and other high end pricing on various products; it seems to me tech for the end user /buyer is becoming a "pay to play" scenario rather like a high end golf club membership.
i thought tech was supposed to free us all ?
thus poorer folks have to make do with slower processors for example.

the other aspect is reading various apple sites on the net the number of ports on these new machines.
on a 600 bukker refurb hp or lenovo xeon workstation off lease warrantied beast of a pc are loads of usb and internal expansion ports. i think apple needs to bring back more ports.

and one final item that concerns me is servicing.
with that refurb i just mentioned if a power supply goes bad i just go rapidly to my local pc guy , and within the day i'm back up and running with a new power supply
or drive or graphics card or whatever. this is important if one is running a commercial client paying recording rig.
eg bands/music groups /solo artists booking recording time. a major reason i like these hp/lenovo workstation machines.

simon i really want to like these new machines from apple.
but i have obsolescence/upgradeability/future servicing concerns.
its sorta like audio mixers. in the past i could plop in a new op amp if a channel went down. or in the case of a 24 trak 2 inch machine plop in a new channel card from the spares cupboard.
the problem to day is with vlsi and smt tech i cant do that. this is true for so many recording studio products today.

best
oldmuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/03/21 12:58 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)