Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
There are builders who can build a house, but they depend on architects to draw up the plans, who also depend on structural engineers to make sure the plans will work and be stable.

architects = writers
engineers = producers/engineers
builders = performers

Different skills to be done by either 3 different people, 2 different people, or 1 person.

I am built in a way that I want NO "help" from a co-writer or producer telling me what he thinks. Like the house those 3 people work on, no 2 of them may have the same vision. I wouldn't want some builder telling me as an architect (I always wanted to pretend to be an architect! Token Seinfeld reference.) what he thinks and what he sees in his mind's eye.

When I write a song, I write what my mind's ear hears, and THAT is how it will be. Fly or crash, sink or swim, THIS sound is what I am after so just do what I wrote and shut up. Note that I have had not ONE bit of success as a writer, so there's that...

A guitar player from a band back in the 80s, and a forever cover band guy who has never written a song (largely because he doesn't believe he can do it, thus he never tried) once posted how he buying those pre-prepped meals where they do all the work and you just toss it in a pot. I mean, someone else assembles your protein, your starch and your veg, portions it out to the right size, includes measured out seasoning packets, and ships it to you with directions that say "Sprinkle packet A on protein B and fry for 5 minutes per side." And YOU really cooking? And I couldn't resist posting on his timeline "So just like your music, you are a 'cover' cook too?" and we had a good laugh about that.

I am really in my own special place about music and the reverence it deserves. Some people believe in god. Music is my God.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.