Hi VT, IMHO if you want to know how MIDI sounds work one of the best ways to learn is to get something like the full version of Kontakt, record a bunch of notes out of a noise source (instrument, vibration, crash of a glass or whatever). Then with the sampled noises (sounds) pull them into Kontakt and tune them, apply them to a scale and a velocity setting. You then have a basic instrument.

Then with a bit (or maybe a lot) of scripting you can design yourself a really nice functioning instrument. You can do similar using SFZ and scripting the tuning. Kontakt just makes it easier with more sense. (By the way there are other sample players out there. Kontakt is well supported with a lot of people offering advice on what to do).

Sampled notes are just one option. There are many, many synths out there that allow one to create or generate notes. These notes can be used to create music.

The MIDI part basically just says how long, how hard and when a note is played. Other instructions (usually CCs) basically tell the playing device things such as panning, volume, how the release of the note happens, filter settings and various other nuances the playing device (instrument) needs to know.

There are often many options. That is the beauty of using a tool such as Kontakt (the full version) one can see this all happening. It is also possible to see this with many synths. The concepts are really not that hard. The finer points are the issues of understanding the instrument and player you are trying to simulate.

Just some thoughts. For me personally I get as much out of making the sounds as a do the end result (but that’s just me).

Tony

Edit: cleaned up my typos.

Also check out YouTube look for David Hilowitz who demonstrates the way it is done.

Last edited by Teunis; 06/11/21 11:50 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1