Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Straight to the point.

Quality vocals from Janice but maybe could use a little more angst to match the songs narrative .
Would prefer the drum pattern to vary between verse and chorus with appropriate fills
Would prefer the guitar solo forward in the mix and move the kit further back.

Bass playing and guitar solos are excellent.

The biggest drawback IMO of doing a cover is that one is instantly compared to the gazillion other versions of the same song and I am hearing Bessie Smith pulling at my heartstrings with her mournfull voice so I realise that I am being a bit unfair to you.

Am I still on your Xmas card list?
Your Fan
Gary.

- Glad you liked the vocal but angst just ain't our thing smile Sad or melancholy but not angsty.

- Sorry some of the mix didn't work for you -- we were good with it based on our Layla album reference.

- Glad you liked the guitar and bass ... those guys know their stuff!

- Regarding the drawbacks of PD songs 20% of our catalog and of all the songs posted here have been our interpretations of PD songs. They've been good to us and we enjoy tweaking the lyrics and working out arrangements. We understand we will not always be as Gregg Allman said "hittin' the note" for listeners familiar with and close to the original and other versions. BTW Bessie Smith covered it in 1929 after several versions were done subsequent to its publication in 1923.

- We love and deeply admire Bessie Smith, and Ida Cox and Ma Rainey and have done songs by them but, as mentioned, we had no intention of channeling them on this arrangement as we were most influenced by The Tedeschi Trucks Band's version that will be released on next month's album where they do all the Laya tunes.

- Regarding the Christmas card ... hmmmm ... how about a text? smile smile smile

And in ALL seriousness your thoughts are always welcome!

Cheers,

J&B