Originally Posted By: bluage
Mr. Rhodes...

How many times have I wondered about the daily existences of people who inhabit small towns I've driven through while making interstate trips by car?

I don't assume your song is autobiographical, so I wasn't expecting it to satisfy my curiosity about small town folk. Nonetheless, I found myself absorbed in your lyrics because they seem to encompass so much life experience in a few verses and a repeated chorus.

You tell a compelling story with music and 'snapshots' of memories that generate interest in (seemingly) quiet lives lived in quiet places.

Thank you! As it happens, my parents are from small towns in Mississippi.(Actually, they lived outside of a small town.) When I lived in New Orleans, a close friend came from a town where all public school students--kindergarten through 12th grade--went to the same building. All the kids in the family got the same school yearbook because they all went to the same school! I remember him telling me (this was back around 2000) that it was only a year or so previously that they got 911 service, which required the naming of nameless roads. He got his father to pay some token sum to have their street named Blue Jay Way.

I've heard stories of small town life since childhood, and I've been involved in a few such stories myself.

Last edited by Mark Rhodes; 10/23/21 09:08 AM.

"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen