<< if you got hit by a car, would you blame the car or the driver? >>

Illogical analogy. Even if the car was unoccupied (no driver) and rolled down a hill and ran over you, the previous driver of the car is responsible for not properly parking and securing the car. Also, you could be the blame if you walked into traffic without checking for ongoing traffic (ie: Saturday night drunk).

The bigger illogical issue here when related to a dog; Dogs always make decisions, cars never do. That's an unavoidable factor that always has to be considered. Dogs live in our world, not us in theirs. Training replaces the dogs native decisions with decisions we determine so dogs can better survive and exist in our world of rules, not theirs.

<< If your neighbor is such an irresponsible jerk call the police EVERY time the dog is wandering free. >>
In many cases, not every neighbor is an irresponsible jerk. At some point it is proper and best to file a police report but that's not the best first choice to address the situation. In my experience, a dog's unwanted freedom is normally a quick, easy fix without any adversity between neighbors.

Even though Deb was 100% right to access the back porch. It's also 100% the dog owners duty to have their control of their dog and 100% of leash and containment laws were on Deb's side. None of that mattered, was known to the dog or factored into that dog's decision to bite.

It's not impossible in a lawsuit that evidence may show a homeowner in a similar situation had inadvertently created such an attractive nuisance to the dog for the Court to find the dog's owner not liable which could cause that homeowner to be liable for the death of the dog.

<< People used to laugh and make stupid comments about my dog wearing "sunglasses". I would just look at them and say "Those are safety goggles. An intelligent person would be able to deduce that from context." How would I have felt if she lost her eye because a pebble kicked up knowing that I could have prevented it for 20 bucks? >>

Maybe a better response, "They're safety goggles. How would I feel if she lost her eye because a pebble hit her, knowing I could have prevented it for $20?"

As a loving and caring dog owner, you've been lucky with two dogs. You would feel the same if that same rock didn't hit her googles but severely hit and damaged her very sensitive and unprotected snout. That's just as likely an occurrence. Your dogs were lucky.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/30/21 05:54 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.