Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Far and away the best we've heard. floyd's mention of Judy Collins was spot on. The lead and harmonies are remarkable. Keep that lead vocal lady on retainer.

I'm happy to have her! Although I just got another vocalist (Solaria), so it'll be interesting to see what she can do as well.

Quote:
The word here is CREATIVE. Apply it to the synth vocals, the lyric idea, the arrangement and the massive amount of work to produce it all. You have the patience of Job -- forgive us if we've said that before. But, man, it's hard to imagine the amount of thought and computer effort to do this.

It's astonishing to think of the kind of resources we've got available to us these days.

Back when I was starting out, I only had a Tascam four-track recorder, an old piano I had restored, a $5 old nylon string guitar and a cheesy DR-22A drum machine.

A decade or so later, upgrading to the MIDI-only version of BiaB running through my JV-80 felt like opulence!

Now I've got a RealTracks band, physically modeled instruments, synthetic vocalists using neural networks and a virtual recording studios.

Too bad my music sensibility is still stuck in the '70s. wink

Quote:
The band is high bar indeed. The strings, the oboe and trumpet and THOSE drums (we are suckers for a snare that pops) -- everything is working to present a great soundstage. Our collective heads would still be spinning if we glanced at your DAW.

Ha! I've read your drum processing routine, and your FX chains.

I suspect you'd find they're no more complex than what you're doing. While I'll labor over the vocals and some other stuff, I'm a big fan of leaving things alone if they are good enough.

Plus, I can usually have my son sit in and finesse the track, even if we disagree on some of his panning decisions. grin

Quote:
Great and thoughtful listen.

Thanks for the kind words! It's really encouraging. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?