Here is a comment I made back in 2012. Not much has changed since then. Even the MIDI Super Tracks focus on traditional instrumentation that more easily translates to MIDI for novices (piano, bass, etc.):

"I sometimes am discouraged by the number of comments I see that assume the most important capability of MIDI is to emulate traditional instruments. I am most entertained by the things that are impossible for traditional instruments to accomplish and can only be done by MIDI and computers. These are new capabilities that can advance music into new territory and create new genres.

However, I don't think this forum is the best place to look for people who share this view because I don't believe it is frequented by a representative cross-section of BIAB users. We all understand that the regular forum contributors are typically older and not much interested in new sounds or new genres.

But a lot of this can already be accomplished by simply ignoring the BIAB style labels and GM instrumentation and substituting unexpected MIDI sounds and patches along with new loop capabilities. This can definitely make any MIDI style sound completely different than its original intent. That to me is the most important argument for MIDI development in addition to more RealTracks.

But it sure would be nice to see these concepts appreciated in new MIDI style development."

This is certainly a generality and there are users who will say they are older and use MIDI, but they are clearly swimming upstream.