Originally Posted By: Sundance
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. So I know the kick, snare etc., are at the end of each drum file. When I try to copy the snare or the kick into RB l'm not doing something right. What is the best easiest way to do this? Maybe I should be doing it in Reaper?

Thanks again.

Josie

My method is not particularly relevant as my DAW is Logic Pro but FWIW. I use my wave editor to snip, for example, the snare out of the "kit file" that you mentioned. I then drop the that snare clip into a new track in Logic. I place it in the correct positions on one bar and then copy that bar across the file which takes about three minutes. I then set the RD track to what Logic calls the "Groove Track" and then set the snare track to lock to it. Bingo all the snare hits are perfectly aligned with the RD track snare. Just placing the hits on the proper position within the bars is not sufficient as the RD is a, well, real drummer and they are not perfect but Logic fixes that.

So the whole process might take 10 minutes. I then find a Neutron 3 or Waves CLA drum setting that I like for adding "pop" to the snare. And I do this with other "hits" when I think it will help. By doing this I can added the sound I want to the snare and as previously mentioned pull the RD down 2-3 db from where it would rest otherwise.

Another method I have used is to isolate the RD drum bit I don't like and create a volume automation lane to bring it down. I create the lane for a bar or two and then copy the lane across the entire song. I do is is when Janice plays cajon and I want to remove some of the competitive sounds from the RD.

A big ole FWIW,

Bud