I ask this question from the perspective of playing guitar. It is common to play notes/phrases between chords.

So, several of these phrases could occur anywhere. I did not have in mind the actual ending of the song but that also would be useful information.

All this is just to get a better technical understanding of how certain parts of songs are created.

The Wichita Lineman example is a really good piece of music. The use of D major fits the lyrics.

This is also an example of why there are no "rules". Perhaps the relative minor of F was considered but that just would not have matched the lyrical content.

Wichita Lineman in my mind is sort of in a category all by itself. We should all be so lucky to have Jimmy Webb's skills as a writer!

With fantastic writing came the additional input from people who played on the record. Having a group of studio musicians like 'The Wrecking Crew" to work with must have been wonderful.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo