Quote:

What you need to ask your self is what do i want to do. If RB does all you want, use it.

Thank you for your response.

That's primarily why I'm asking now, ahead of time. I'm new to recording, new to BIAB, new to everything except playing my instruments. I'm NOT new to computing as this was my career for several decades before retiring. So, while I'm comfortable around technology, I'm not yet comfortable with what I've bought in BIAB yet -- although I'm getting there a little bit more every day.

While I'm okay with the computing, I don't care to spend so much time learning something to find out whether I need it or not -- or whether I might better have used something else. I just guessed that it's best to ask the experienced one's here what they use. Right now, as a newbie (and I know that most of you here are long gone from those memories), I don't know what I want or what I want it for. Really, as a comeback player, I'm happy just playing my instruments but I would like to get to know how to record, etc.

I'm not a person who will devote too much time trying to figure out how something works. That's just me though. I can say that yes, most of my software selections have gone that way. In other words, I didn't buy them without first knowing what I needed to accomplish. Trouble with BIAB and RB IMHO is that newbies don't necessarily know why they need it or what features they'll use for what -- I mean it's all pretty much gobbly-gook to me right now although I'm much better off than I was in Feb of this year with I first started. I must admit though, patience is NOT one of my virtues when it comes to computer software however.

I think a lot of learning BIAB (from a non-professional's point of view) is difficult for me because one: I learn things better when I see a diagram showing me the bigger picture about how all the pieces work with one another (I haven't yet come across anything like this for the PG software) and secondly, I find it difficult to blend the artistic side of my brain with the calculating side and BIAB and RB almost 'require' a person who isn't lop-sided as I am (one side stronger than the other). So, being that the artistic side works easier for me, it's much harder for me to understand how something like the computer is going to make me better as a musician. I'm totally for BIAB and the other programs, it's just been hard for me thus far and I'm kinda running out of patience -- and again, that's just me. One other thing that's been difficult for me is the terminology -- I mean I read the book twice before I could start the first song! I'm still returning and reading the thing! I wish there would have been something (that I was made aware of early on), that I might have seen some diagrams of how the software works together, how one might typically set up their hardware, terms that I'd need to understand. There just isn't any of that anywhere (not that I found) -- funny that there's tons of stuff all over the internet about this software but nothing that kinda pulls it all together (for the guy just starting out).

Thanks again!

Last edited by ikeinblackriver; 05/23/10 03:59 PM.

Ike