Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
A good student level instrument these days can be a great buy and the point of diminishing returns for a new student.

Indeed. FWIW, I hadn't intended to imply otherwise if that's the impression I gave.

A 'good' instrument or tool needn't be the best and in any case 'the best' is almost always highly subjective.

When I bought my Kawai MP6, I toyed with the idea of spending more and getting their MP10, which uses what equates to a real grand piano action. But it's also pretty darned heavy for a stage digital. I'm very happy with my MP6.

My only sensible spare though is that synthesiser with its 61 keys and synth action.
In the synth's defence, it was never sold as a piano. My music teacher had a very ordinary acoustic upright that I used in yer lessons. It didn't need her to advise me to get a proper piano keyboard ... by the time she did, I'd already concluded the same. Any piano keyboard of a similar standard would have been OK ... Yamaha, Roland, Nord, Korg. The cheaper Casios have a great reputation, a Yamaha hybrid grand is not going to happen smile

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.