Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So, TBTH.... I have not been doing a lot of recording here of recent. However, I will be getting back in the proverbial saddle shortly and writing a lot more.

I recently picked up a really clean Epiphone E-002 Bass Guitar from the Facebook market place last week. I had been wanting a bass to add to my wall hangers and well, this one is pretty nice and sounds good too. It needs a few tweeks and one day I will get around to getting it done. I decided to try it out on something that rocks and UTB came to mind. It's played through the Spark with a default bass Model. Still working out the kinks of recording a bass. Thoughts and advice on that aspect of recording is appreciated.

Here's what is new on the remix.... to the best of my knowledge.

I reworked the drums to avoid the ear crushing ride cymbals in the choruses.
I reworked the guitars and cleaned up a bunch of stuff in those tracks.
I muted the original bass part and recorded a new bass track.
I may have done something to the vox track.... a few word changes from the original and a bit of processing different from the first.

Not sure because this has been in the process of a remix for the past year.... is it done? I really can't say.

The original version is MP3 and the remix is on Box as a WAV.....

Under the Black (original version)

Under the Black ( remix)

Enjoy....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/05/22 10:01 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Herb
Cool hard rock sound
Your voice is really good for it
Sounds really great at the right volume ;-)))
More of it, Herb
Both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, Sounds great! I went back and found what I said the last time. It still applies.
"Now that is nothing short of Awesome. Definitely my all time favorite from you and I have been a fan for many years. So many nice little additions, twin guitars, headstock arpeggios, Horn pipe ending. Tremendous scowling vocal. 5 minutes plus and never bored. That says it all. Time well spent". Stay well my friend, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Easily my favorite tune from you, lots of great ear candy on this including some Kashmir riffs. Still sounding great, changes were subtle to my ear. Excellent song and lyrics!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
wow , really enjoyed this.

a superb display of talent. great lyrics.

this type of song genre is tough to get right.
so...'ten outta ten' imho should be on commercial rock radio.

loved it. and the power chords.
a very unique song. superb ending.

merry xmas.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds really good - all of it. Vocals, mix, heavy guitar, lyrics full of imagery.

Huge and bombastic.

Super-fun listen! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Herb
Cool hard rock sound
Your voice is really good for it
Sounds really great at the right volume ;-)))
More of it, Herb
Both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

At the right volume.... there's the key to it.

Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Herb, Sounds great! I went back and found what I said the last time. It still applies.
"Now that is nothing short of Awesome. Definitely my all time favorite from you and I have been a fan for many years. So many nice little additions, twin guitars, headstock arpeggios, Horn pipe ending. Tremendous scowling vocal. 5 minutes plus and never bored. That says it all. Time well spent". Stay well my friend, Tom

Thanks.... yeah, this is one of my favorite writes as well.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Mmm, hardrock...me likes. A lot.

Care to add the BIAB band info and vocals?

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Easily my favorite tune from you, lots of great ear candy on this including some Kashmir riffs. Still sounding great, changes were subtle to my ear. Excellent song and lyrics!

Kashmir and Just got Paid in the choruses.... glad you like V2

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
wow , really enjoyed this.

a superb display of talent. great lyrics.

this type of song genre is tough to get right.
so...'ten outta ten' imho should be on commercial rock radio.

loved it. and the power chords.
a very unique song. superb ending.

merry xmas.

om

Power chords and..... since this is a live bass, I could play chords on it as well instead of settling for single notes.

I'm with you on the radio airplay thing.... thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sounds really good - all of it. Vocals, mix, heavy guitar, lyrics full of imagery

Huge and bombastic.

Super-fun listen! laugh

Glad you liked it. The imagery is practically straight from the TV series Black Sails... from the call of Sails on the horizion, to the storm, the bloody leather bag of gems, and the sword fight on the beach.... Great series that's a prequel to Treasure Island.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Mmm, hardrock...me likes. A lot.

Care to add the BIAB band info and vocals?

Sure:

The band is:

Drums: hard rock thrash half time 16 even
Bass: 1268 played live on this version
Cello: 3287
Horn pipe flute: midi from 3189
Fiddle: 3189
Guitars: 3299 & 3302

I'm playing the lead guitars. I was planning on recording the BB guitars but they just worked so I left them in. Why fix perfection?

The lyrics:

Under the black

Fifteen men on a dead mans chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Seven men left only one came back
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

INTRO

Mast on the horizon, sails upon the sea,
man of war is coming is it friend or enemy
Three days out of Nassau 90 barrels full of rum
Spanish gold and sugar from cane
There's nowhere left to run

Ships made with hemp and wood, and men with iron and bone
Under sail on a following sea, just trying to make it home
There's lightning in the distance, looks like a mighty blow
We'll be Swinging from the yardarms if they catch us with this load

Tales are told of rum and gold, shiny stones in a bloody leather sack
The ocean plays for keeps, the deck is always stacked, and the governor's noose is never slack
Trust no one, don't close your eyes , and always, always, watch your back
Blood will be spilled When you're sailing under the Black

Flint and Veines and John they say can be seen on distant shores
On a moonless night when the stars are bright, you can hear the clash of swords
Blood on the sand, blade in hand, with a dying oath he swore
X marks the spot on a pirate's map only dead men know for sure

Tales are told of rum and gold, shiny stones in a bloody leather sack
The ocean plays for keeps, the deck is always stacked, and the governor's noose is never slack
Trust no one, don't close your eyes , and always, always, watch your back
Blood will be spilled When you're sailing under the Black
Blood will be spilled when you're sailing under the Black

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
AC/CD playing the Kashmir riff.
Nice.
Bass recording if it's through a modeller - usually pretty easy - turn off all time basses FX make the compressor a little harder clamped and in the box look at what's happening at 70 & 120 Hz as those are the spots where it may boom or fight the drums. Oh, & don't be afraid to high pass or carve to let the kick thump.
The vocal is cool but gets a little strident in spots which seems to esss or trigger the reverb - though that's not a bad pirate thing.
FUN.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I remember this song very well, loved it the first time around, Still love it now! Definitely my favorite from you.

Really well done on all levels, Herb, enjoyed giving it another spin. Sounding good on the bass!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really cool. Herb. Listened to the original first (hadn't heard it before), but I really like the difference in the remix. Not just the Epiphone, but, yes, the crash was somewhat harsh in the original. Still it fit with the whole song, although I like the remix much better. This is such a good song, it's hard to be critical. I really got into it and forgot to listen like an engineer. Guess I'm just a fan.

Speaking of fans, I like that Epiphone you got. I can't give you much help on recording bass. I just plug in to the Focusrite, which goes into the input and play. When I mix it I'll add the Waves CLA Bass and Bass Rider (thanks to the advice of Bud Merritt). I think you're way above my pay grade regarding recording, but if you ever think of anything I can help with, send me a message.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mix sounds good.
Good job on the drums.
I thought the Bass was somewhat "indistinct". Since you were more or less showcasing it (and the amp), I was expecting a bit more "punch" from it. But that did not distract from (or affect) the overall sound.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
AC/CD playing the Kashmir riff.
Nice.
Bass recording if it's through a modeller - usually pretty easy - turn off all time basses FX make the compressor a little harder clamped and in the box look at what's happening at 70 & 120 Hz as those are the spots where it may boom or fight the drums. Oh, & don't be afraid to high pass or carve to let the kick thump.
The vocal is cool but gets a little strident in spots which seems to esss or trigger the reverb - though that's not a bad pirate thing.
FUN.

Yep, through a modeler. Thanks.... it's something I'll look at on my next excursion into bass guitar excellence.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I remember this song very well, loved it the first time around, Still love it now! Definitely my favorite from you.

Really well done on all levels, Herb, enjoyed giving it another spin. Sounding good on the bass!

Glad you remembered it.

I have often thought that I should have been a bass guitarist many times through the years as it resonates in a deep part of my musical soul.

Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked the first one but love this one

Songs like this should be on the radio today

Outstanding job on everything

IMHO your best to date

You know you're getting old when a recliner and a heating pad is your idea of a hot date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,998
Posts739,844
Members38,637
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
PeteA, DeezWaffles, Nash Atkins, Unica College, blacktiger
38,637 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)