Seriously Floyd, give a guy/gal a warning!
Do you not realize that people might listen to songs in their vehicle, in heavy traffic, that's not moving, with people looking staring at them with concern? Not cool. Not cool at all.

Anyway...

It's hard for me NOT to go into all the things I hear you and Bill are doing so well. There are just too many. The phrase "next level" is used a bit too often these days, but in this case, I really do believe it applies.

There are a number of words I wouldn't think to put together as "rhymes" that you made work so well. Once quick example green grass/cactus. There are others obviously as well, but it's THAT kind of thing that notches everything up.

The time progression treatment with numbers, as others have mentioned, uniquely creates interest. Also 1st chorus sitting in the hot Georgia Sun then later clear Georgia night. Brilliant. Small view being day to night, larger view being early life to a passing. Crazy good!

Of course, I always like it when someone can lead into a chorus lyrically as well as musically...

Quote:
i started a new life, i thought i'd relearn how to smile
and sometimes i'm better, but way more than once in a while

i find i'm back in athens
when i was married and thirty-two

I'm not sure what's yours and what would be Bill's so you reach get a prize.

The choice and placement of instruments also had me wowed. Again, without going into too much, adding lap steel in the second chorus really moved it in a slightly different way without being too obvious. I hate using the phrase "ear candy" because people seem to throw that phrase around a bit too much in my opinion however how you did it…THAT is how it's done! Fantastic!
How else? Well, let's add cello for the bridge! Loved that!
Final chorus, why not fiddle?
NONE of it was obnoxious, maybe at times for a lot of people, not noticed. But without it, a song can become a bit repetitive and boring without knowing why. THAT is what ear candy is supposed to take care of...as though you didn't know that. eek

The last thing I will say is I also REALLY appreciate that you do NOT do. Everything has it's pacing and isn't rushed. You allow the melody and sections of the song to breathe when they need to. It's not filling every space. I don't mean from an orchestration standpoint, but from that combination of arrangement and production that is very difficult to truly teach. Example you say? Just one would be the space between the 2nd chorus and the bridge. PERFECTION in my opinion. Nothing long, just time to pause for a moment and take in what you've already taken in before moving on. You do this in your individual lines as well, as I'm sure you know.

Anyway, this is one reason I don't post as much. I could go on and on and spend 2 days on a reply. Instead I speak it and have the voice to text do it's thing...poorly I might add. If something's not clear or seems way off in what I said, my apologies in advance. I've really learned I don't care for leaving comments. They are much less conversation and edited...aside from me obviously not proofing mine. This time, I just felt overwhelmed in the need to say something. If you knew how much I dislike writing comments, you would understand how much I loved what you have done with this song.

Thanks a million for sharing a song of this caliber. The forum is very lucky to have your and Bill's contributions !

Again, consider a slight heads up though. $268 later my therapist agrees it's a great song. grin

Last edited by HearToLearn; 01/15/23 04:44 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.