Manning,

You make some good points. I would be the first to admit that I don't know as much about system maintenance as I should, but I do know more than the typical consumer. It's a full time job trying to keep up with what's going on and most people don't have the time or the inclination. Computers are complicated little devices, no matter how the manufacturers would like to dress them up as otherwise.

I too didn't ask the question to start a Mac/PC war as I know there are good arguments on both sides. I just wanted to hear of people's different experiences.

The biggest argument in favor of my remaining on the Windows platform is that I am familiar with it, having used Windows machines for many years. I also wouldn't have to replace my software (although I don't have a ton of it). I'm willing to spend the cash on an i7 quad core, etc. if that's what makes sense because I do tend to keep my systems for some time. I'm not a power user by any stretch (as I mentioned, I don't do much recording and my needs in that regard are simple anyway), but I do expect a lot from my computers in that I use them for a variety of different things, from music, to photography to home finances and internet. Maybe that's a mistake, but even if I had the money, I simply don't have the room for a dedicated music machine, a photo editing machine a server to stream music to my stereo and an internet/email machine.

I guess I'm simply looking for the system that will allow me to do what I want with the least amount of grief. What I find frustrating is feeling like I don't want to touch anything or make any changes (including adding any new programs) once the system is working OK for fear of some unintended consequence. Even system restore doesn't always work as it should.

As I said, I've had my current system for over 6 years (knock on wood) and I suspect if I were inclined to do a clean reinstall of Windows it would probably speed up again a good bit and maybe I would get some more life out of it. I may do this even if I am getting a new system. I guess I'm just not sure why such measures should be needed (it won't be the first time I've had to reinstall Windows because the system slowed down). I have been told (perhaps incorrectly) that the Mac OS is more robust and less prone to such slowdowns. Of course, newer programs will obviously tax an older system and maybe that's the larger part of the problem.