First, I don't think there is any way to start a song that is more correct than any other way.

It is pretty common to let things build both in complexity and volume.

I rarely use anything from BIAB precisely as it comes out. The quicker I can get out of BIAB and into Studio One, the better.

If you listen to the demos in BIAB, they are rarely arranged very well and seldom what a live musician would typically do in many cases.

There are many ways to control volume in multiple areas of a track. Specific notes, phrases, and sections can be muted in any DAW. If you listen to really well-done songs on the user showcase, I think you will find a lot of work goes into creating the song and much of that work is done in a DAW.

Some things are considered standards, like not covering the vocalist's voice. Whoever is in the lead should be "supported" by the other components of the arrangement.

There are times when I want everything possible I can get in the first few measures. That was sort of a trademark of our band. I want you to stop talking, put down your drink, and start walking toward the stage. We used to do that on the first song of almost every set.

Listen to the music you like and try to copy some of the processes you hear that you want.

Perhaps there are ways to get what you want to hear directly out of BIAB. I have asked many people here if they thought that was possible. No one has said yes, I can do that. They have all said, sure, you can do simple stuff like mute certain things or change the timing, but more complex things are better done in a DAW. That DAW could be almost any DAW, RealBand, Pro Tools, Cakewalk, Studio One 6 Pro, and a dozen others.

You are the person who is creating the song, and the way it started should be your decision, not BIAB or any other thing except your creativity and skill.

Billy

EDIT: Some notable intros to songs.

The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run ( No Vinnie drumming in BIAB...lol)

Fleetwood Mac - Need Your Love So Bad ( This intro is as old as the hills and has been used by dozens of blues guitar players to significant effect)

The Beatles - Come Together ( The prototype for a drummer and a bass player joined at the hip)

Devo- Whip It ( Like them or hate them, they are instantly recognizable)

I could go on with some of the stuff straight out of Compton, Ca, in the more modern gangsta rap style but not!

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/11/23 02:27 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo