Quote:
While folks use network and BT connections, my take, wired is more reliable.
I agree wired connectivity is more reliable than wireless. But the best wired computer connection for communication is the ethernet port.

MIDI can be broken down into two components, protocol and transport. Protocol is the MIDI language while transport is the highway used to move language.

The issue is transport related. There is no single transport standard for two connected PCs to communicate with each other over a USB connection. There are several proprietary methods. The issue is one computer has to manage the communication but, by default, both computers want to manage the communication. No one can agree on a transport specification where one computer understands it is the communication manager and the other computer agrees to be managed.

The MIDI Association has several committees working on creating standards for MIDI over wi-fi, bluetooth, USB and ethernet. Because midi is a serial communication and there must be a communication manager it is difficult to get all manufacturers to agree. They each have method and "their way" is the best way.

On a side note, computer operating systems have had a standardized way for bi-lateral communication over an ethernet port since back in the DOS days.

Quote:
I think you need to give an actual example of what you want to do exactly.
I agree with Musocity. What are you wanting to do with midi over USB?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home