Sadly, I almost had the chance, but it was nuked over royalty negotiations (the label basically didn't want to pay us).

But as the opening act for a number of successful bands/artists at the height of their career, and also in smaller venues for some who were past their prime, I've met more than a few.

There are those who flourished and others who were self-abusive. I guess you can say that about people in all walks of life.

Many said they had more fun when they were 'up and coming' and others seemed to flourish in their celebrity status.

I think I would have been fine. Although I did my share of recreational substances, I never overdid. I don't have a desire to do dangerous recreational activities, and never had that inclination. So if a plane, bus, or car accident didn't get me, I probably would have survived. And even though I'm not famous, a plane, bus, or car could get me.

As far as playing the same songs again and again, I really don't mind at all. I do that now, and still play Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, or whatever the audience wants to hear.

I remember an interview with Tony Bennett. When he was asked if he ever got tired of playing "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" he replied, "No, how could I?" He added, "It's the song that put me on the map, it's the song my fans want to hear, I'll sing it just like the recording every time and love it."

Fans want to hear it just like the record. If that recording made you rich and famous, you owe it to them to play it like the record. I have the advantage that I didn't make a hit record, so I can do the hits my way, either similar to the record, or reinterpreted.

When I'm gigging, I analyze the audience. I use my experience to guess what song they need and when they need it. I'm not flawless but I'm quite good at it. Years of watching them did that. Their clothes, facial expressions, body language, energy level, and so on are all clues.

I don't do set lists, as I'm not clairvoyant so I can't predict when they are going to need a particular song, so I call the next song as we are playing one.

I play the audience in a way, bringing them to a climax, give them a release, and build them up again, repeating as necessary. I don't care how many times I've played it, when they need "Old Time Rock And Roll" or "Blurred Lines", they get it.

So I don't think I'd have trouble surviving stardom. And at this stage in my life, I don't think I'll ever get that chance.

But that's OK. I'm gigging 15–20 times a month, with my wife/best-friend/great singer and musician, and I'm writing aftermarket style and song collections for Band-in-a-Box. Life has been good to me so far.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks