Originally Posted By: MarioD
The "Count Five" was one of my favorite psychedelic bands way back then.
This is one of my favorite songs from their first album "Psychotic Reaction".
Can you guess why?
They're Gonna Get You

A brilliant garage psych band Mario...love 'em.

There was a lot of bubblegum psych or psychpop in the late 60s as the system, crashed into, & cashed in. Lots of bands tried their hand at it too...Status Quo's psych album is quite good fun though the Pictures of Matchstick Men does point to it being heavily manicured for the charts.1910 Fruitgum Company, Lemon Pipers et al. Some great stuff from them though.

This is, along with punk & new wave, amongst my favourite flavours.

From the prog psych of Pink Floyd & the Greek psych of Will-O-The-Wisp to the garage gems of the sort that made it into the Nuggets Pysch box as well as those that crossed over like LOVE. I occasionally dabble in writing songs that 'sort of" fit the label. My most recent forays have been into Pink Floydish tones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyXEyh0h2Uo&list=PLkNwHzsyYJ16xYNhhLISgMYzXY_AbCLfp

I have quite a bundle of music on CD & LP from the era & genre. I'm not 100% sold on the current modern variant of King Gizzard Wizzard or Tame Impala though they are another branch on the tree and worth listening to. I still haven't managed to grab hold of the garage psych vibe in my writing though...I think it's mostly my guitar playing that holds me back on that.

The 2000s brought some lovely sunshine psych pop from the likes of The Cosmic rough Riders & Teenage Fan Club...

Last edited by rayc; 05/20/23 06:33 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe