I agree with Bob. Be a performer rather than a creator.

I still make a little money from my CD, and I was well established at the very beginning of the public Internet (having written websites for myself, a college and two libraries that were all the first in the region) but I could not see making any kind of living now as a composer. I have a friend who leads a big band just north of New York City. He has amazing, well-known players, and writes fabulous music for them. Without his day teaching/prof work, someone like that could not exist.

Even as a performer, it’s tough to sell new music. Would a jazz festival take a chance on me, or would they rather hire famous blues and rock bands from the 70s? When I could have made music for a living, I looked at colleagues and decided not to. Music for me, even at a pro level, is just fun now. I’d rather write music for students or a community big band or orchestra, than attend one of those so-called jazz festivals.

BIAB has been with me through half of my six decades performing. Definitely the better half.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors