Originally Posted by Papity
Please forgive me not sharing your enthusiasm about Midi but I can't find good quality ones that could compete with VST based on samples.
Sounds like a bit of confusion regarding the difference between Midi Code and the sounds which are generated by the sample library. Combine that with the fact the "a couple notes" played on a banjo ain't goin sound all that good by themselves.

But here is the real issue (well maybe just for me crazy). What you are attempting to do should be the most simple and basic of operations. I did this in BIAB in the years past using my keyboard to record in the midi notes or by just manually entering them in piano roll. Then I would select a goto sound synth (internal or external) or even select a VSTi like Kontakt and it would work. Over the years I have moved much if not all of that workflow to a DAW. And today I do things in the DAW I never know possible when I was full time BIAB. Now, when I go back to try to illustrate a simple workflow in BIAB to do what you are requesting, I find myself dead in the water. It is actually painful to work like this.

So, sorry I can't help you. I just hope someone else can come along who remembers how to do this and give a clear workflow video.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper