Hi Folks and thanks for all the great comments.

I'm starting to think my unit is more noisy that most of them are. Just plugged in and on the low gain sims, (but output volume on the Vox way up) it shows about -80 on the daw meter. I have to run the volumes all the way up to record at around - 15. I can gate the noise, but when I hit a note I can faintly hear the noise in it. Oddly enough, when I use some of the higher gain sims, the noise increases a bit, but the volume increases a lot. I can turn the output volume down, gate the noise, and I don't hear any noise when I play a note. The problem is, it's the low gain sims that I want to use the most.

Mike, next time you record, would you have time to check some settings for me? If so here's what I'd like for you to try. (this is all set for clean--for example if I turn the vr gain up more I'll start getting some extra grit that I don't want).
Manual mode--all effects off--tweed 1X12--tweed 1X12--vol ~4 --vr gain ~7 -- ch vol full on --
treble 7--middle 6 --bass 4 --presence 3. back of unit set to line out and volume full on.

thanks,
Jim

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.