Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
Today, this may or may not be universally true; I'm thinking it's not true but of course it comes down to how one defines "create".
I define create as something different than minimizing an error function.

There are AI systems in existence today that are designed to create/discover scientific hypotheses that humans alone haven't been able to create.
We've had these for sometime now.

These systems aren't "creating" anything. They're evaluating. The solution is a result of running an algorithm. It's not like these systems have any abilities beyond running these algorithms.

That's hugely useful, but it's not the same are creating.

It has also been suggested that a category of Nobel (or other) Prize be set up specifically to award AI bots or AI/human collaborations when meaningful discoveries are made . . . stay tuned.
It seems to me that people making those sorts of suggestions don't have a good grasp of what they are talking about.

And what does it mean to award a computer program a Nobel prize? How do you give a computer program money?

These are only tools used by people to perform functions. They're not self-aware entities that have any understanding of what they are doing, and it's not a good idea to encourage people to think of them in those terms

"In science, experimentation and hypothesis generation often form an iterative cycle: a researcher asks a question, collects data and adjusts the question or asks a fresh one. Ross King, a computer scientist at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, aims to complete this loop by building robotic systems that can perform experiments using mechanized arms. One system, called Adam, automated experiments on microbe growth. Another, called Eve, tackled drug discovery. In one experiment, Eve helped to reveal the mechanism by which a toothpaste ingredient called triclosan can be used to fight malaria."
These are programs that are designed by people to look for patterns in data. While they are called AI, the are not "artificially intelligent".

Executing an algorithm requires no intelligence.

They are capable of learning and classifying, but they are certainly not intelligent.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?