Originally Posted by Matt Finley
That does not sound normal. Even installing everything new wouldn’t take hours in a reasonably fast machine.
Hmm, odd. The original install took some hours, but I presumed that was due to 2TB of data.
The machine doesn't seem to be working terribly hard .. 2% CPU, 19% memory, 25% Disk ~0% network..

I have just set the "sleep" option to "never", but it did that only once.

Looking through the stats in task manager, it seems that the USB drive (PGM's drive) is a bottleneck at ~80-90% usage. It's on a front-panel USB port, which I think is a USB 3.x. It's averaging about 14MB/s,(*) though peaking occasionally into the 30s. "Average response time" is mostly in the 12..20ms area, thought I've seen it in the 30s. Both the drives in the machine are down in the 10% usage area, though the wite times are fairly slow ... mostly < 1MB/s. There's quite a bit of writing going on on the C drive (an M.2), which might suggest the install is copying via C. (No it's spinning rust - it's Linux that's on the M.2)

(*) Not any more ... it's now reading at about 200kB/s and ~60% usage... it's also occasionally writing (faster) ... why would it be written?

I think I'll close the browser and see if things improve ... browsers can somethimes be resource hogs.

Edit: No significant change; nor was there by shutting down Thunderbird, nor AFAICS from shutting Task Manager for a while. It's a mystery.

Edit 2: I just walked away and left it ... I came back and it's again at 20MB/s area, but still only about 15% done (guessing by the progress bar). confused

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/01/24 11:04 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.