Originally Posted by trapper456
One time I met Kenny Loggins at a procedure that my mom was at. He said always hang on to your publishing and never give anybody a controlling share of your publishing because that's where the money's at. He said, that a publisher will work with you on a percentage basis if that's what you want to do. Then, they can have a share of your publishing but never give them the Lion's Share of it because they're the ones that are going to make the money off of it.

Regarding the "hold on to your publishing rights" thing....Theoretically absolutely yes you are leaving a lot of money on the table if you don't keep your publishing or at least a share of them. However, in the real world, only writers who have a string of successes (as in top 10 and number ones) are going to have the clout necessary to demand a share of the publishing. Those that are in this category have set up their own publishing companies which administer all or a portion of the publishing rights. Loggins is undoubtedly in that category. Writers such as myself, with a small amount of commercial material with publishers, are not. Our option is limited to "take the deal and sign it, or leave it".

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.