...have a couple different flavors of Casio at home myself. I started with the old WK-1600, graduated to a 3000, brought an 1800 off of eBay for $125 a few years ago and have an 8000 at home.

The one word of caution that I would give you is that they have a tendency to have keys break over time up at the top of the key where it attaches to the keyboard. The keys that are used on all of the WK's are interchangeable with other WKs and other lower end Casios. I have an old crummy battery operated portable (non WK) that I scavenge keys off of whenever a key breaks on my gigging keyboard.

The key draw to using one of the Casio WK's for a Band in a Box user is poly timbral polyphony. Plug your keyboard into a MIDI/USB connector and you can rock out with Band in a Box. The WK has 16 channels of MIDI and up to 32 notes sounding simultaneously. I've graduated up to a Ketron SD-2 now, but used the Casio WK's for years for song arranging and development.

Jon is correct about the audio direct mod. There used to be a documented modification that you could do to any of the WK's so that you could run them through an amp. With the mod they're still a bit noisy but far better than running through the head phone jack. Let me know if you have trouble finding the directions to the modification.

Have fun,
Bill

Last edited by Bill Lyons; 07/30/10 01:22 PM.