...Yep, you're right. The USB interface looks good on paper (use an old printer cable to hook up your keyboard to your computer in place of two MIDI cables). Unfortunately, Casio does not support all OS's. You're better off with a conventional MIDI port.

The 3800 is a USB only to replace the Midi. A friend of mine has one of those. My home machine, a WK-8000, also has that USB only design. The big problem with that design is that Casio developed drivers for the USB for Windows XP-32, Windows NT and 95. I'm not sure that Mac is even supported but I know that XP-64 and Vista-64 are not. I contacted Casio when I got the 8000 and asked for 64 bit drivers for that USB, and they said that there was no plan to develop them. I'm not sure about using the USB/Midi replacement on Windows 7, you'll have to dig around to find out. This is one of the reasons why I've remained on XP-32 for the time being. You might check again to see if Win 7 is supported for keyboards that have the USB replacement for MIDI like the 8000. Also, Casio has all of their manuals available online. It is possible to pull down all of the documentation to examine which keyboard had which features without buying one.

Bill